Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Tiny Imaginary Play #5


A pock-marked man in uniform looks out over the grey sea.

He can feel the salty wind on his face, its noise almost drowning out the clanging sound of some piece of equipment bouncing against the ship’s hull.

A second man approaches, also in uniform. He’s wearing sunglasses.


SHADES: Don’t do it.
POCKS: Hrm?
SHADES: Don’t look out over the grey sea and ponder the uselessness of it all.
POCKS: M’not.
SHADES: Can see it in your eyes.
POCKS: Just looking.
SHADES: You should look when no-one else is looking. At you looking.
POCKS: Shouldn’t you be somewhere?
SHADES: Got tired of playing World of Warcraft with teenagers in Tennessee.
POCKS: Tired of getting your ass kicked you mean.
SHADES: I don’t play because I’m good, I play because it’s fun.

They look out at the grey sea and ponder the uselessness of it all.

POCKS: I love her I miss her I don’t know if I love her or if I’m just lonely I don’t know how to talk to her I don’t know how to touch her she’s a foreign country without a consulate and I don’t know the local customs and I can’t stomach the food and I know she knows me but she also doesn’t know me and I can’t tell if the me she knows is me or not and if it isn’t do I want to become that me or is it a trap she’s luring me towards so that all the other me’s that may or may not be realer than her version end up vanishing into the ether and what happens to this me the one without limits the quiet one I feel moving in the nighttime and speeding with the sky the one that loves the rush of acceleration and the absent breathing stillness of no one watching I’m afraid that this one will die I’m afraid to lose the most abstract corners of myself I don’t want to map their contours I don’t want to plumb their depths and I’m afraid she won’t let me leave anything vague and sometimes I want more than anything to be left in peace in vagueness.

SHADES takes off his sunglasses and looks at POCKS for a moment.

SHADES: Wanna go play Crysis?
POCKS: Sure.

They exit.


(Written 2/16/11 after Solo Training Session #5)

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joy
    Just trying this again.
    Great to read and hear about your work, and exciting to see that the US is starting to make space for practice within higher degrees.
    This site might interest you: http://bris.ac.uk/parip (practice as research in performance). There's a world of stuff on there about the history of PaR in the UK (in particular), and how things have developed. I've got a practice-led PhD, but am now also involved in teaching PaR at PhD and MA level – this blog http://dpar-autumn2010.posterous.com/ is the one I kept with students for a module recently finished.
    Hope this is useful.
    Best wishes for you and your work.
    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Simon! Thanks so much for reposting. What a great blog. Yes, the US is a bit behind the UK but I believe that we're coming around. Hope to meet you at some point and get to know your work in person!

    Best,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. still my absolute favorite. so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Howdy I am so grateful I found yοur webpage, I rеally fοund yοu by mistake,
    while I waѕ reѕeaгching οn Yahoo for something else, Anyways I am here now
    аnd ωould just lіκe tο sаy cheers for
    a fantastіс post аnd a all round enjoyаble blog (I
    alsο love the theme/design), Ι don’t have time to read thгough
    it all at the minute but І have sаved іt and
    also аdԁed yοur RSЅ fееds, so when I havе time I wіll be bacκ to read a grеat
    deal more, Pleаse dο keеp up the supeгb
    b.

    Here is my web-site ... CarbonPοker Offer ()

    ReplyDelete
  6. My family еverу time say that I am wasting my tіme here at web, except I knοw Ι am getting ехperience evеryday by reaԁing thes niсe artіclеs
    oг revіews.

    Also viѕit my blog pοѕt ... RPΜPoκer Pгomotions -
    -

    ReplyDelete