Monday, February 7, 2011

entropy. redress.

My friend and collaborator Rhonda Soikowski, who works on the edge of performance practice, embodied research, and pedagogical innovation, recently asked me to participate in her current project titled entropy. redress.

Rhonda invited collaborators to create short video pieces incorporating a single red dress that criss-crossed the globe. Shortly before I got my hot little hands on it, the dress was ripped untimely from the land and disappeared into the Mediterranean. Our small constraint reduced to none, myself and my collaborators Joe Moore and Beth Hersh took to the beach to try to reach towards the lost object.

Click on the image below to see the results of our work. How Rhonda will incorporate it into her piece is still unknown, but it was a privilege and a pleasure to be a part of the journey.

2 comments:

  1. effective depiction w/feminist symbolism not buried too deep or subtle. (understatement)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous! Not sure if you'll check back here after leaving your comment, but I'm curious about your interpretation of the piece. We weren't deliberately working with feminist-themed symbolism in the video, though we're all engaged with issues of gender and sexuality in our art and life. What did you see?

    ReplyDelete