Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Speaking of Shakespeare...


I'm looking forward to seeing Julie Taymor's film version of The Tempest when it hits theaters in December.

(Here's the trailer in case you missed it)

It isn't getting great reviews so far at the festivals, but Shakespeare is notoriously difficult to translate to film, and I respect Taymor for being brave enough to try.

Her film version of Titus was fantastic, and while Across the Universe had some issues, I still admire the strange theatricality of her cinematic vision. And really, how can you NOT be excited about Helen Mirren as Prospero?

1 comment:

  1. I'm ready to be greatly disappointed with this film. Was just talking earlier today about how Frida, also directed by Taymor, was so much less than it might've been. I realize that I liked Titus so much that I had put Taymor up on a pedestal and have been expecting way too much of her. And yeah, I'm kinda excited to see Mirren ham it up as Prosperina or whatever they end up calling her when they should just stick with Prospero.

    ReplyDelete